Glossary » website topology
the structure of connections between pages on a website. Typical structures include:
- hierarchy / tree – the most traditional is to organize a site into categories and subcategories.
- linear sequence – used for sequential stories or processes.
- matrix / grid – 2-dimensional grid, useful for 2-dimensional maps or for information spaces that vary along 2 dimensions (e.g. products available by size and color).
- full mesh – a site with every page linked to every other page, which is only really possible for small sites.
- arbitrary web – a set of links with no planned or explicit structure.
- hybrid – a combination of the above, which is how any practical, real-world site is actually structured.