Glossary » target configuration
or “target platform”; the technical parameters of the system(s) that a piece of software is being developed for, which impacts how many users will be able to use the software as well as the difficulty with which a user can put together the necessary hardware platform and operating system environment. Some of the common platform parameters include:
- CPU: instruction set, speed
- available memory: RAM, hard disk space, removable media
- operating system: including version and options, such as keyboard configuration and fonts available
- monitor: size, resolution, monochrome/color, and color depth
- other I/O devices: mouse, keyboard, printer, etc.
- network: protocol and speed