Glossary » brand identity
the aspect of a design that establishes a unique look and feel distinct from competing products but consistent within the product and its product line. The identity has these advantages:
- it maintains a consistency that helps a user orient and remember the structure of the software.
- it informs the user about the context and the values espoused by the application and its developers.
- it helps a user remember and identify a specific product and vendor.
- it establishes a creative aspect to the design that cannot be imitated by competitors without violating intellectual property rights.
- it establishes an aesthetic approach to which the user responds subjectively.